2016 International Committee
England International Mountain Running 2016
The committee will select the best available teams to represent England, although where shown some teams will be selected as development teams to give them experience of international competition.
• Where there is a designated trial race, athletes wishing to gain a place are expected to compete in this race and the selectors view trials as the primary means of selecting the teams. Where there is no trial or an athlete is unable to compete in the trial race, it is the athlete’s responsibility to provide the Chair of Selectors, Anne Buckley (email@example.com) with details of all performances they wish to be considered at the selection meeting. This information must be provided in advance of the trial race where there is one or before the advertised selection date or deadline for expressions of interest.
• Athletes will usually be informed of their selection within a week of the trial and/or deadline for expressions of interest.
• Selection of all athletes is subject to the agreement of the athlete’s training and racing programme between the date of selection and the representative race by the committee.
• Athletes wishing to be selected for races abroad are expected to have a valid UK passport. The selection committee reserves the right to de-select any athlete who does not provide all the information requested (including passport details) within a week of selection.
• For all races if the selectors believe that a minimum performance standard for selection has not been achieved, they reserve the right not to select a full team. We do not intend to send teams to international events composed of athletes who have not demonstrated the level of performance required.
This information is also available on the England Athletics website
Please contact the Chair of Selectors if you require any further information: Anne Buckley (tel: 07817 681826, email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that at the time of publication some of the trial dates/venues and full selection details have not been confirmed. Please check the England Athletics (http://www.englandathletics.org/page.asp?section=611).
Event: International Youth Cup, Janské Lázně, Czech Republic
Date: 25 June 2016
Selection Date: 21 May 2016
Trial: Sedbergh, 21 May 2016
Team Composition: Up to 8 junior men and 8 junior women (born within the years 1999/2000. Younger athletes are not eligible.)
Selection Details: The first two junior men and junior women will be automatically selected from the trial. There will be up to 6 further places available for both junior men and junior women, subject to standards and budget.
Event: Snowdon International, Llanberis, Wales
Date: 16 July 2016
Selection Date: 26 June 2016
Trial: Trial for British Athletics team for European Championships, Whinlatter, 28 May 2016
Team Composition: 4 senior men and 3 senior women
Selection Details: The first 2 senior men and 1 senior woman will gain selection from the trial race with the remaining places to be decided by the selectors. Development places may be offered for this event.
Event: Senior Home International
(included in British Athletics trial for the World Mountain Running Championships), Keswick
Date: 30 or 31 July 2016
Selection Date: 04 July 2016
Trial: Skiddaw Fell Race, 3 July. Times and positions will be noted at the summit and athletes are not obliged to race down.
Team Composition: Up to 4 senior men, 2 under 23 men, 4 senior women and 2 under 23 women. Subject to appropriate standards second development teams of men and/or women may be selected.
Under 23 athletes are defined as born in 1994 – 1996 inclusive. The quota of 4 senior athletes may include Under 23 athletes if more than two are selected.
Selection Details: The first 2 senior men, 2 senior women, 1 U23 man and 1 U23 woman will gain selection from the Skiddaw Fell Race (subject to performances being of an appropriate standard) with the remaining places to be decided by the selectors.
Event: Junior Home International, Keswick
Date: 17 September 2016
Selection Date: 27 August 2016
Trial: Keswick, 27 August 2016 AND Turner Uphill, 11 June 2016
Team Composition: 4 U20 men and 4 U20 women (age at 31 December 2016 – this includes athletes born in 1997, 1998 and 1999), 4 U17 boys and 4 U17 girls (age at 31 December 2016 – this includes athletes born in 2000 and 2001). Subject to appropriate standards second development teams may be selected in all age groups.
Selection Details: U20: The first athlete from the FRA U18 Championships, the first athlete from Turner Uphill and the first 2 athletes from the trial race at Keswick will be selected with the remaining places to be decided by the selectors.
U17: The first athlete from the FRA U16 Championships, the first athlete from Turner Uphill and the first 2 athletes from the trial race at Keswick will be selected with the remaining places to be decided by the selectors.
Event: U23 Development Race
Smarna Gora Mountain Race, Slovenia, 1 October (up and down)
Hochfelln Mountain Race, Germany, 24 September 2016 (uphill only)
Selection Date: 31 July 2016
Team Composition: Up to 10 athletes in total (mix men/women)
Trial: British Athletics Trial for World Mountain Running Championships, 30 July 2016
Selection Details: Athletes who have performed at a high standard in the British Championships, 30 or 31 July 2016 Athletics World and European Trials but have not been selected for the GB team are eligible for places. Please contact Greg Hull (email@example.com) before 30 July 2016 if you wish to be selected.
Age Group: 14-16 years
Date: March 2016
Selection Criteria: Top 10 in FRA Junior Championships
Placed in FRA Junior Championship or BOFRA races County standard XC, Track or road
Performances of similar standard to the above – please ask!
Contact: Duncan Richards on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07764 610799.
Age Group: 16-19 years
Date: Early April and summer 2016
Venue: Betws-y-Coed and tbc
Selection Criteria: Athletes should be committed to mountain running in 2016 and be planning to run the British Athletics World and/or European Trials.
GB mountain running vest in 2015 or 2016
Top 10 in Junior Home International in 2015
Top 10 English Schools, National or Inter-Counties Cross Country
Top 6 in Area Cross Country
Performances of similar standard to the above – please ask!
Contact: Anne Buckley on email@example.com or 07817 681826.